Sunday, October 4, 2009

SICILIAN FOOD or what I plan to eat!!

"The culture of fine dining may have been conceived in Sicily when Archestratus, a Greek poet born at Gela in the 4th century B.C., wrote Gastronomia as an ode to the pleasures of the Sicilian table."

Sicily is so full of wonderful food and wine, I hardly know where to start! I 'll start with what's coooking in my kitchen right now..CAPONATA..this is an eggplant appetizer that you will find on every antipasti plate, lunch and dinner. I nerver tire of it and when I see the beautiful purple eggplant or aubergines in the market I make a nice batch. Basically its eggplant that is pan fried with onions, tomoatoes, olives, and vinegar. Its can be served warm or cold, but I prefer it room tempature with some nice crunchy bread. It can also be tossed into some warm pasta, put in an omlette, baked into a meat loaf, in pita bread, or a side dish for many meats...One may find the sweeter version with raisins and pine nuts on the Western coast..See photo.

No comments: